Thursday, October 13, 2016

Dane (Pt. 2)

Chapter 2

Synopsis: Danielle, Malak, Bowie, Ragnar, and Barchester are backstairs. Others have come to-and-fro, but most have opted to stay locked in their rooms as the storm continues to drive into the port. Ominous thunderclaps and streaks of lightning fill the sky. While not figure has approached the hole in the wall, there is still an oppressive air that hangs around.

Barchester spends a moment with his kit and Danielle's arm. Despite her hisses and seething, he applies a rag of Elaine's tears to her arm wound and begins to sew her up. Danielle gains d8 hit points (5).

Danielle: Danielle reaches for the bottle next to her and takes another swig. “Pretty good with a stitch, fella.”

Barchester: “I was mender in the King's Army before I took to a life of soaping up beer pitchers and throwing out half-wits.”

Danielle: “Well, sir. On behalf of this half-wit, I thank-you.”

Barchester: Gives her a glance before his sour expression breaks into a brief smile: “Nah, you're not a halfwit. One of the few who'd point out not to touch that door when the knocking came.” He snips the last piece off and uses a probe to tie what is left off. “There,” he says “Let me get a wrap to cover it and you'll be good as new.”

Bowie: “Well what I want to know is, what the hell is going on here?” Walks away from the broken window to the center of the room.

Malak: “I thought you grew up in these parts.”

Bowie: “I'm from the Marsh, not the coast. And my family never had stories about walking puddles of filth and swords running around on storms.” He looks over to what oozes from under the table cloths that had piled over the corpses in the corner.

Ragnar: Re-enters the room. He lays his shield down on the table and wears his breastplate. Earlier mending to his thicker hide yields 1d6 points (5). “Best we go and report into the nearby watch station. The guard has to know that something wicked stirs this night.”

Danielle: “The guard won't be able to assemble anything to stop this, though. We've-”

Malak: “We've got to figure out what exactly is occurring. You.” He steps around and eyes Barchester, “You had an ominous question when we were speaking. About the dead not sleeping on this night. What does that mean?”

Barchester: Fishes out a cigar and lights it. He let's it rest in the corner as he answers: “Do I know? Certainly. It's ominous, but perhaps not as ominous as I was letting on. The clock has rung midnight my friends, the witching hour. The sea holds the dead and damned in her bosom and at times when great storms like these and the witching hour combine to a very dire result. It appears a dead ship has sailed and let loose it's crew to pillage.”

Bowie: “Wow, so this happens a lot?”

Barchester: “Not a lot, just enough for this Dwarf to recall. You have two options, friends.” He says as he reloads his blunderbuss. “You either can wait here until the witching hour passes by and endure more of those things trying to break in, or you send this ship back to the other side.”

Danielle: “And how do we do that?”

Barchester: “A crew needs it's captain, madam. No captain, no ship. The captain shall not leave his ship, so you will have to go get him.”

Bowie: “I was pretty much looking for that piece of fine print.”

Ragnar: “I still think we need to go out and alert the watch station. At least have them ready.”

Danielle: “I think it's up to us to go out there, slay the captain, and be done with it. The sooner the better.”

Bowie: “Well, if you're looking at me, and you might not. I'm aiming that we barricade this place and hold out until what, an hour. A mere... fifty minutes from now. If that clock's right, I mean.”

Barchester: “It is.”

Malak: “I would side with the lady. If anyone is looking to me.”

Ragnar: “I am not. All I see is Humans sticking with Humans.”

Danielle: “And you need to stop being so... so... bullheaded and listen. The watch, what good would the watch do during an Undead invasion?”

Ragnar: “I am a watchman, Human.”

Danielle: Takes a breath and let's it out slowly: “Fine. Let's do both. Check on your friends, then kill a undead pirate captain.” <Persuade: d20+4 w/ Advantage = 10. Average check>

Ragnar nods but doesn't look anymore pleased or angry by the acceptance of compromise. Malak looks somewhat pleased and readies himself to go into the storm. Bowie raises an eyebrow and makes a face when her eyes fall on him.

Bowie: “You know all we're doing is asking for trouble.”

Danielle: “You want to stay here?”

Bowie: “Hell no! I can go out with three people armed, or at least two people armed- Malak just has the magic. Or I stay locked in my room with a single pistol and knife. Only question is, what about Barchester here?”

Barchester: “I have to mind the inn and Brandybuck. I think he had a case of the nerves, but follow me a moment.”

Barchester opens the cellar door behind the bar and points at a lantern which is given to him by Danielle. He begins clomping down the stairs with the others after them, save for Ragnar who says: “I think I'll stay here. It looks a bit cramped.”

Downstairs the lantern casts a dim light in the room that is quickly added by another set of lanterns that the Dwarf lights. As the lights flicker the party sees what is available: casks of ale, dried foodstuffs in barrel, fermented quality drinks, and a wall covered in flintlock weapons and a war hammer.

Barchester begins lowering down weapons, humming as he works.

Danielle: “Where'd you get all of these?”

Barchester: “Surplus.” He slides a holstered musketoon towards Danielle: “Strap that on if you're going out there. I think I have some shot in that drawer nearby.”

Bowie: “Two blunderbusses, six pistols, three double-barreled pistols, and four... I mean, three, I guess if you're giving one to Danielle here musketoons. All of that is surplus?”

Barchester: “What can I say? I do like to go into a new business venture prepared. What I was also going to show you is back down that way is a outside cellar entrance over that way. Just ring the bell and I'll come over to open it.”

Danielle: “You can hear it over the storm?”

Barchester: “Not necessarily, the bell is also connected to a talk tube near the bar. That way I know when the delivery people are here. Could you please help me carry a few items?”

Meanwhile, back upstairs. Malak is the first to breakaway to join Ragnar who continues to look out into the window. Ragnar's darkvision helps him penetrate the rain slicked night and allow him to see something approach.

Ragnar: “What goes on down there?”

Malak: “The Dwarf has an arsenal that he is bringing upstairs. How is it up here?”

Ragnar: Tilts his snout up and tries to listen over the storm <d20+5 = Natural 1>. He hears nothing and shakes his head. “Just thunder and rain.” A bolt of lightning streaks in the distance. “Also lightning.”

<Random encounter check with a 1-in-6 chance. The result is: 1! Encounter!>

Encounters include (1d6): 1) 1d4 Revenants, 2) Lightning strike on the establishment, 3) 1d2 Watchmen, 4) 1d6 bandit-looters, 5) 1d3 civilians, 6) 1d4 gang members. Results is: 3 (2 Watchmen)

Out of the darkness a figure appears at the window. Ragnar rolled a natural 1 and makes a Save vs. Surprise with a Disadvantage. He rolls vs. 12, resulting in: 7. The flash of grey armor, beige skin, and a human's shape causes him to draw his blade suddenly.

Ragnar: “Who goes there?” <Does he slash at random? 25% chance = 17> He slashes at the figure with a roll of d20+3 vs. the Guard's AC of 12. He rolls a 21. Hit! And deals 1d6 points of damage which (1).
Ragnar's blade strikes the guard's mail and causes the guard to stumble back cursing. The guard's partner strides forward bearing a halberd and calling: “This is the watch, you fool! You are under arrest for assault!” He brings the halberd to bear in a defensive stance.

Ragnar: “Why did not shout out damn it!”

Halberdier: “Assaulting an officer is a 30 days hard labor, Minotaur.”

Ragnar: “I am a guardsman, you didn't even call out!”

Malak: “Gentlemen! Please!” He strides towards the broken window where the two men and the Minotaur glare at each other. “Let us just settle down and reconnoiter.” <Persuade is +3. Malak uses Extra Effort to counter the Disadvantage he would take due to the charged atmosphere. He rolls a 14 vs. 10 and calms the rival parties.>

The Halberdier and the Swordsmen are William and William, also known as Billy, Stoutly. The Stoutly twins are known for their beige skin, red hair, and prominent mustache with no beard. The two men are soak from the rain and sitting on a table. The first William (also known as Will) sits with a bandage on his arm. For a moment he glares at a Ragnar before looking at Danielle and the others who have joined them.

Will: “It has been a damnable night. Made worst when our guard post was assaulted.”

Danielle: “It wouldn't happen to be a series of undead fiends who attacked your post, like the ones under this sheet here?”

The two Stoutlys exchange glances.

Bill: “Would they happen to have wispy, almost seaweed like hair?” His voice is a rich baritone as he speaks.

Malak: “That's exactly what we have here. Undead pirates from a cursed ship.”

Will: “We lost Korji and Messner and managed to make our way up the street. If only we hadn't ran and lost our breath, might have all of my links in place.” He said, his eyes on Ragnar.

Ragnar: “And what would you have me say, man? Yes. I'm sorry that I got carried away and slashed a humanoid figure. When we are battling humanoid figur-”

Danielle: “Alright. Alright! You two. Now, we are presented with a choice to either holdup here until the witching hour ends or go down to the docks, sneak on a ship, and kill the captain. What say you men?”

The Stoutly brothers look at each and then to Danielle (Will they help? 50% = 01%.)

Bill: “If you are going madam. I shall accompany you.”

Will: “And if Bill goes. I go with him.”

Malak: “What about the prefecture? I know the post is gone-”

Will: “At this point in the storm they will have battened down and shall not emerge until either the weather dies down or the sun comes up. Several of them might have already gone to bed.”

Bowie: “Wait a minute, wait a minute... wait a minute.”

Malak: “You don't have to go if you don't want to, Bowie.”

Bowie: “Yeah, but... one thing here, people. This is a pirate ship, right? Like a freighter or something larger? Don't you usually get a smaller boat to sail to them?”

Danielle: “Sometimes. But Port Kyna does have deepwater docks to reach a ship.”

Bowie: “So what's the plan if it is moored out there? Are we rowing in gale force winds to get on there?”

Danielle: “It doesn't- well, it would help to take a look. If we can't then at least we know we can get back here and hold up. Satisfied?”

Bowie: “I won't be satisfied, no. But I can kind of stand it.”

Danielle: “Now, if you don't mind. I need to say goodbye to Brandybuck. I'll join you gentlemen in a moment.”

Danielle walks upstairs. She raps on the door and pauses as the lock slowly turns and Brandybuck's dark feathery features poke out: “Is there trouble down there?”

Danielle: “Barchester seems to have things in hand, honey. It might be a good idea to hang out downstairs with him.”

Brandybuck: “Yeah... yeah, I mean, yeah that would probably be a good idea.”

Danielle: “I'm taking a walk to check this thing out. Just in case you are wondering where I will be at.”

Brandybuck: “Do you... do you need me to go with you?”

Danielle: Thought for a moment then shook her head: “I need a safe place once this is dealt with and Barchester needs help barricading the building. You best stay here.”

Brandybuck: Nods. “I'll... Let me get dressed and get ready. Has any of the other guests came out of their rooms?”

Danielle: “Were there any others?”

Brandybuck: His voice was distant as he continued to dress: “There was the at least the Goblin and the Man who were sharing a room-”

Danielle: “They are already downstairs. Anyone else?”
Brandybuck: “Just a Minotaur, I think. Unless he left.”

Danielle: “No. He's around too, don't worry.” Her upper lip vanishes for a moment and she sighs: “I'll be back, my dear. Please be safe.”

Brandybuck: He appears again dressed in a tunic, breeches, and a pair of shoes. He continues to button his vest as he approaches Danielle and he says: “Yeah... please don't take anymore risks than you have to.”

After a pause they share a kiss on the mouth.

Back downstairs the Stoutly brothers are healed and do a final check of their gear. Halberdier, short blades, and mail. The two rest on benches looking over the assemblage in the common room.

Bill: “Ever thought we'd meet our deaths fighting a pirate?”

Will: “No. Barfight. That's what I thought would claim you.”

Bill: “And what about you?”

Will: “Old age... or maybe alcohol poisoning trying to cheer myself up at your funeral.”

Bill: “That's a way to go. That's certainly a way to go... thanks for the uplifting talk, brother.”

Bowie holsters one pistol across the belly and checks down the barrel of another that he takes from Barchester's arsenal. He nods before sliding it into a second holster that now hangs on his hip. He slides into a top coat that is designed to keep the rain of his twill vest and linen shirt. Inside the pockets of his coat he notes his toolkit and an extra set of knives. “Hand me that hat there, Malak.”

Malak hands off a matching black broad brimmed hat to the Goblin that fits between Bowie's twin long ears. For his part, Malak clutches his staff and sets a dagger into a sheath onto his belt. Hanging from his side is a combination of spell components and healer's kit. The strap crosses his torso and hangs is set snug against his neck, a thick padding rests there to provide some relief. Besides his navy blue shirt and black breeches he also found time to put on his top coat which his made from a thicker material.

Barchester tucks a lit pipe in the corner of his mouth as he walks down the growing party. “Hopefully you won't be gone too long. I fear I've said too much and am now about to face a certain amount of peril with little help.”

Bowie: “So what? You'll have Brandybuck here to help you.”

Barchester: “That I will, that I will. For all the good it shall help me when I need it most. I still wish all of you good luck.”

Bowie: “We'll celebrate with a pony keg. I'll buy- but I want hero's rates.”

Barchester: “Never heard of those, but maybe we can work something out.”

All eyes turn when they hear the boots clomp down the stair. Danielle appears with Brandybuck behind her.

Danielle: “Alright. I think we got a welcoming committee assembled for our undead friends. Let's go have a look-see down at the harbor. See if we can end this business early.” 

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Solo: DANE

Danielle “Dani” Wake
Fighter (3)
HP: 21 / Current: 16 / ST: 12 (+1 vs. Mind Effects)
Armor: 12 (Leather + Parry) / MV: +6
Attacks (+3)

Rapier +1 (+4): 1d6+1; Parry (1); Magic: Adds +1 AC due to superior parrying ability.
Pistol: 1d6+1; R: Near

Dagger: 1d4; Concealable

Skills: Climb: +1, Swim: +2, Notice +1, Stealth +1, Jump +1, Persuade +1, Lore (Local) +1

Human (1/day): Normal vision. Once per day can roll with Advantage on any d20 of their choice.

Parry: While using a one-handed weapons or duel-wielding the character gains +1 AC. This increases as the character rises in level.

Acrobat (1/day): The character can gain acrobatics. This allows the character to make stunts without incurring a Disadvantage as long as it falls into the acrobatic milieu (like grabbing on a chandelier to leap across the room, or sprinting rooftop to rooftop). Once per day the character can make an Acrobatic based check with an Advantage to their roll.

Wealth: SP: 120/ Gear: Canteen

-Danielle is a crewmember on shore leave in Port Kyna waiting out a major storm that grips the entire coast. She is currently in a relationship with a tavern owner by the name of Brandybuck “Brandy” Downs who owns the Pelican. The rest of her crew is scattered across town as part of the week’s shore leave and she is looking forward spending a few days with her boyfriend.

Malak Nagi
Magician (3)
HP: 20 / Current: 20 / ST: 13 (+2 vs. Magic, +1 vs. Heat spells/effects)
Armor: 10 (Robes) / MV: +12
Attacks (+3)

Staff: 1d6; Reach

Dagger: 1d4; Concealable

Wand (Power: 10): Lightning attack that deals 2d6 points of damage. Requires attack roll with a +2 power. Each attack drains on point from the wand. At 0 the spell cannot be cast. Power points regenerate at a rate of 1 per hour.

Skills: Lore (Arcana) +2, Survival +1, Notice +2, Swim +1, Stealth +1


Human (1/day): Normal vision. Once per day can roll with Advantage on any d20 of their choice.

Magic (Spells per day: 4)

Arcane Dart (R: Far; D: Instant; SV: None): Fires a magical dart at a target that deals 1d4+1 points of damage. Every 3rd level creates another dart that can be fired at the same target or at different targets. These darts strike the target unerringly, unless blocked by a spell (such as Shield).

Spark (R: Near; D: Instant; SV: None): Creates a spark of electricity that deals 1d8+1 points of damage. Every level adds a bonus +1 to a maximum of 1d8+5 at 5th level. This spell is made with an attack roll with a +2 bonus to the user.

Shield (R: Caster; D: Scene; SV: None): Creates a shield that adds +4 Armor and blocks Magic Missiles.

Light (R: Close; D: Scene; SV: None): Creates a ball of light that follows the caster. Can be any color the caster chooses, but gives enough the same luminosity as a lantern. Recommended colors include passion red, mint green, or winter blue.

Wealth: Silver: 66 / Gear: Spellbook, Pen, Ink

-Malak is an aspiring magician who is staying in the Pelican. Though he originates from the northern deserts, he arrived with Bowie on the same ship and the two are sharing a room.

Ragnar Direhorn
Fighter (3)
HP: 22 / Current: 18 / ST: 12 (+1 vs. Charm & Disease)
Armor: 16 (Breastplate) or 17 (Plate + Shield) / MV: 3 / MV: 2
Attacks (+3):

Shortspear +1 (+4): 1d6+1; Throw (R: Near)

Sword: 1d6; Deadly (Causes 1 bleed on a Natural 20 roll)

Horn: 1d6

Unarmed: 1d6

Skills: Survival +2, Notice +2, Swim +1, Intimidate +1, Climb +1


Minotaur: Darkvision. Their great strength upgrades their light attacks (such as unarmed, horn, or dagger) to 1d6. They ignore movement penalties from shields or heavy backpacks due to a strong back. They gain +1 Armor from strong bones and fur. Due to their size they take a Disadvantage negotiating small or cramped spaces.

Fight On! (1/day): Once per day at 0 hit points the character immediately regains 1d8 hit points back to their character to continue fighting on. If they return to 0 again after using this talent and before resting they are struck down as normal.

Combat Machine (3): Against 1 HD creatures a Fighter can make multiple attacks up to their level.

Wealth: SP: 120 / Gear: Lantern, Oil x2, Tindersticks x12, Canteen

-Ragnar is a Port Kyna watchmen using his day off to rest and relax at the Pelican Tavern and Inn. He actually likes the sound of the rain, helps a bull sleep at nights.

Bowie Tippett
Rogue (3)
HP: 18 / Current: 18 / ST: 13 (+2 vs. Traps, +1 vs. Poison)
Armor: 13 (+1 Leather, Size) / MV: +8
Attack (+3)

Dagger: 1d4; Concealable

Cutlass: 1d6; Deadly (Causes 1 bleed on a Natural 20 roll)

Pistol: 1d6+1; R: Near
Skills: Stealth +2, Disable Device +1, Notice +1, Climb +1, Swim +1, Gamble +1


Goblin: Goblins begin play with Darkvision. Their small size gives them +1 to AC and Attack vs. Man-size or larger creature. However, due to their size, they take a Disadvantage on rolls that require great strength. Such as dragging or lifting heavy objects.

Backstab: With a successful Stealth v. Notice check a Rogue can attack with the Advantage and turn their attack into artillery (dealing 2d6). Creatures with no noticeable weakpoints (Skeletons, Ooozes, Golems) are immune to Backstab.

Knack (2/day): Rogues are the master of non-combat skill rolls, especially when dealing with feats of acrobatics, stealth, or perception. When dealing with any of these feats, the Rogue may spend a Knack point (currently 2) to roll with the Advantage. 

Wealth: SP: 154 / Gear: Cigars, Toolkit, Lantern

-Bowie is a visiting Goblin Rogue and Gambler who arrived on the same ship as Bowie. Seeing that both Goblin and desert dweller were both new to the Port, the two decided to stick together for the time being. He found the Pelican as a nice place to drink reasonably priced alcohol and play cards.


Brief: A storm has struck the coast of the Borderlands with the grand city of Port Kyna plunged into the maelstrom. Rain lashes against the stone and wooden roofs. Waves roll from the ocean depths to pound the ancient docks. Docks that are only saved by the craftsmanship of the first Dwarven sea clans who set roots into the city. Along the streets people try to find some kind of cover, even if its in the alcoves and niches of buildings. Night has fallen, and with it, an ill wind.

Danielle: Danielle descends from the stairs to the harsh sounds of the weather. Her brown hair, typically braided and wrapped underneath a kerchief is left to hang loose, just past her shoulders. Her skin long since tanned from working days on a ship. She steps into the bar only to find water dripping from the ceilings to the stone tiles.

The room features Malak Nagi, a sorcerer from the northern deserts. His face is held in a serious frown as he studies over a set of cards. A single finger tapping brown skin as he looks at his hand (Currently a pair of Jacks along with a 7, 4, and 9). He two silver on the table as his cerulean eyes watch his opponent across from him.

Across from him is Bowie Tippett, whose green skin, flat head with a ridged crown, dark green nose and yellowish eyes is a sign of Goblin heritage. He used a a set of old books to help prop himself up in his chair so that more than his chin cleared the table. He also had a set of cards (A heart flush.) The Goblin eyes the four silver, his hardened tongue grazing one his sharp little fangs.

Bowie: “I see and raise an extra silver piece.” He places two pieces in, bringing the total to 6 pieces. His eyes look up to meet Malak's.

<Malak makes a contest Notice vs. Stealth to try and glean something from Bowie's eyes. His Notice roll = +5 vs. Bowie's +5. Bowie rolls with Advantage due to not being a Human. The results are as follows: 13 vs. 20. Bowie wins.>

Malak: Offered nothing that gives advantage or penalty, Malak's mind becomes focused and calm. He has a pair of Jacks as his only hand and considers whether or not to see and call or fold. <His demeanor equates to an Even chance (50%) which equals 19%>. He tosses two silver into the pot. “I see and call.”

Bowie: “Nothing but hearts, friend.” He lays down revealing he has the King, 8, 6, 4, & 2 of Hearts.

Malak: Sneers and curses in his language. His jacks stand alone as his main draw. <-4 Silver; Current Wealth: 66>

Bowie: “Care to play anymore? The storm isn't going anywhere and neither am I.”

Malak: “I find that my money is going somewhere- straight into your pocket.” He leaned back and sipped at the glass on his side of the table.


Besides the pair there was a grey skinned, black haired Dwarf who polished a flagon from behind the counter. In the corner, nestled against a wall was a sleeping Minotaur whose snore sent tremors into the floor.

When Danielle approached she was met with looks by the two in the center.

Danielle: “Rough night to try and sleep, yea?”

Malak: “A rough night for anyone, save the dead.”

There is a clearing of a throat that draws character's attention. The bartender, the Dwarf, places the latest glass he polished and spoke with a somber voice.

Barchester: “How can you be so sure that a storm like this that even the dead sleep?”

Danielle: “I don't know about the dead, but I do at least one who sleeps well.”

Malak: “The innkeeper?”

Danielle: Nods and draws a dark brown cigarillo from her pocket. She smiles and accepts the flick of Malak's finger that suddenly lights her cigarillo. She takes a few puffs and says: “I'm Danielle. I don't recall seeing either of you gentlemen at dinner, I think I saw the Minotaur.”

Malak: “I'm Malak. Bowie and I came a little later in the evening to get out of the storm. Quite an experience, wouldn't you say Bowie?”

Bowie: “I got sick over the side of a ship. Yeah, an experience. One of the ages.” Bowie finishes his drink and leans in the chair. “And I'm Bowie, madam, how nice to meet you. You play cards?”

Danielle: “Only on shore leave. Never on a ship.”

Bowie: “Captain's orders?”

Danielle: Nods and continues: “No money gambled means no money lost. No money lost means nobody has bitter feelings of being cheated or going without. That means nobody shirks their duty, nobody gets killed... usually.” She said.

Malak: “I noticed a lot of sailors had that practice. They were also ill amused when somebody-” His eyes shifted to a squirming Bowie: “Decides to offer gambling. Lot of bitterness was issued at him.”

Danielle: “For some people it's like tempting a man in his cups with more drinks.”

Bowie: “Especially a good banana cocktail. I tell you- you never find one outside of Starfish Isla-”

Barchester: “Quiet!” He raised his hand for silence.

Ragnar: With a brief snort the beige Minotaur rose from his slumber and rubbed his black snout. “What's the rumpus?” He says in a voice that rivals in the Dwarf in its bass.

Barchester: Comes out from around the counter with a hand raised: “Just listen, above the storm.”

<Of the characters present three are active enough to possibly hear something: Danielle, Bowie, and Malak. Each character rolls a Notice check which equals respectively = 17, 19, 13. Ragnar may also roll at a Disadvantage, which = 9. All of which is against a TN of 15.>

Danielle and Bowie's ears twitch as a sound of creaking wood, shifting rope, and clacking metal seem to ride over the fury of the storm and into their ears. Danielle's eyes are drawn to the door while Bowie's ears twitch. The other two look on with confusion.

Malak: “All I hear is the storm.”

Bowie: His ears twitched again, his eyes narrowed: “I don't like the noise I'm hearing.”

Three clacks are heard at the door.

Ragnar takes a look at the door.

Danielle: “Don't even think about touching it.”

Ragnar: “Just another poor person wanting to get out of the storm.” He rises and gets a look at Danielle as she speaks.

<Danielle's Persuade vs. Ragnar's resolve = 4 vs. 17. Ragnar succeeds>

Bowie reaches for his pistol and draws it, bringing the gun to his side. He turns to face the door. He ignores Malak's look and raised eyebrow.

Malak sits in his chair looking from the Goblin who armed himself and the door just out of reach of the Minotaur.

Barchester appears from around the corner bearing a welcoming gift of a blunderbuss.

Bowie: “Isn't that a bit much?”

Barchester: “Hell no!” He cocks the hammer and raises the weapon.

Ragnar: “What are you going on about?” His hand is at the door. Another three clacks cause his head to turn towards the door. <Notice vs. TN 12 and Ragnar's roll is +5 = 14.> A wave of cold issues from the cracks of the door, giving Ragnar some pause.

Danielle: Draws a pistol from sheath at her pistol and cocks it: “Get away from the door, friend.”

Ragnar: “What did you hear?”

Danielle: “I've been alive in a world of sea monsters, cursed ships, and zombie flu to trust an ominous knocking during a storm. Now get away from the door.”

Crash! The windows near where Ragnar was cave with a crash of glass and wood. Reaching out were several misshapen humanoid figures. Their flesh green, as if stained by foam, saltwater, and sea weed. They not only bear clawed hands but notched cutlasses and molded hooks. Four revenants are seen crawling through the window into the room.

Combat Round #1

Initiative: d6. Highest goes first.

GM: 5
Party: 5

<Note: These events occur simultaneously. So, even as they are rattled off they happen in the same span of time.>

Revenant Stats: AC 11 / HD 2+1 (8) / AB +2: Cutlass (1d6), Hook (1d4+1), Slam (1d6)
S: Undead Immunities

Danielle fires a shot at the lead revenant, not only with its green skin but a wispy grey beard that hangs off the creature. Revenant #1 is hit with a roll of 19. The round deals 1d6+1 for a total of 4 points of damage. The round catches the creature in the shoulder, causing it to stumble back. At the same time she draws her rapier in her off-hand. <Off-hand: She cannot make attacks as normal, but can use the weapon to parry>

Revenant #1 launches at Danielle at the same time, the bullet knocking it back before it comes for a sweep at her. It's slash is at +2 vs. AC: 11 with a result of: 5. The slash is slapped away by a quick parry on her part.

Bowie fires a wild shot at Revenant #2. His attack is d20+3 vs. AC 11. Result is: 20, modified. 5 points. The blow strikes true into the chest, exiting out the back, sludge covers the wall behind it.

Revenant #2 at the same time has up to two targets close by (Ragnar 1-3 and Danielle 4-6 w/ d6. Result is: 5). The second revenant launches itself in a lurch and slash at Danielle's auburn curls for an attack roll of 13 vs. 11. It hits for 5 points.

Danielle: “You... mother-” her curses cut by the pain. She drops her pistol and puts a hand on her bleeding arm.

Malak prepares a spell. There are two more revenants who are active at the same time (#3 and #4). Either has a possibility to attack him. Due to active targets such as Ragnar and Danielle there is a 1-in-6 chance he can be attack by one of the undead. The result is 1. Interruption chance!

Revenant #3 breaks and makes a slash at Malak. Bypassing and possibly provoking a shot from Ragnar. This requires a Movement Roll-off. Ragnar is not wearing armor, thus the Movement is Ragnar +9 vs. Revenant MV of +8. Results are: Ragnar: 28 vs. Revenant 18.

Ragnar interposes with a parting shot with his shortsword that is a d20+3 vs. AC 11 which equals: 14. For 1d6 points of damage. The Revenant takes 6 points. A brutal slash between the shoulder blades that requires a check to see if it remains standing (d20+2 vs. TN 12 = 16.)

Revenant #3 remains standing and still gets a slash due to undead immunities. It's attack roll is d20+2 vs. AC: 10 which equals 5. Miss!

Malak: Grits his teeth and conjures energy: “Darts of silver fire, slay the enemies in my eyes!”

Malak's spell goes off. He automatically targets the first creature that charges him in a fight response. A silver dart forms just above his head and with jab of his pointer finger it races towards the Revenant dealing an automatic 1d4+1 damage (5 points). The bolt explodes into the face of the revenant. Slaying it.

Revenant #4 attacks Ragnar with a slash vs. his leathery hide. It rolls a d20+2 vs. AC: 11 for a total of 5.

Ragnar launches a fist at Revenant #4 for a roll of d20+3 vs. AC 11 for a roll of 5. The punch is sloppy and only lightly connects, matting offal and muck onto Ragnar's light colored fur. He growls: “What the hell are you?”

Barchester: “The dead! They rise again with the storm!” He fires into Revenant #4 with an attack roll of d20+2 vs. AC 11 for a total of 21. The Blunderbuss hits square and deals 2d6 hit points (total: 9 points). The pellets slash and blow-out the creature. Knocking it against the wall and causing it to fall.


Revenant #3 killed by a combination of Ragnar and Malak.

Danielle takes 5 points from a saber slash.

Revenant #4 is blown away by Barchester's blunderbuss.

Malak spends power point. Currently has 3 power points

Combat Round #2
Initiative (d6)
Party: 6
GM: 1
Party wins!

Bowie reloads his pistol taking a few steps away from the combat to be near the bar. It would now take a full movement of an enemy to get to him.
Malak steps to move behind, just like Bowie. Saying: “We best leave this to the professionals.”

Danielle does an Acrobatic move to toss her rapier near the bar and then do a 1-handed spring flip to propel herself over to her weapon. She invokes her Acrobatic talent, gaining her the Advantage which counters the Disadvantage caused by her condition (wounded arm). She rolls a d20+4 vs. TN: 10. Result equals: 22. She pulls off the impressive spin backwards, ending in a brief hand stand before rolling to her weapon. With finesse she is able to grab the blade she tossed mid-roll and pop up near the bar. Weapon in hand.

Barchester forgoes reloading his two-handed weapon and instead makes a move towards the back of the bar where the others are standing at.

Ragnar makes a hasty move to where the others are at. His blade is still out and he readies himself, standing as the first in line for Revenants #1 and #2

Revenant #1 moves to slash at Ragnar. It rolls d20+2 vs. 11 for a total of 12. Hit! Ragnar takes a Cutlass to the side (4 points). It tears his shirt and draws blood.

Revenant #2 joints its fellow for a slashing attack at Ragnar. Its undead nature prevents it from trying to get into a flanking position. Instead it makes a wild attack at d20+2 vs. AC 11 for a total of 5. It's slash slapped away by Ragnar's swordwork.


-Revenant #1 draws Ragnar's blood with 4 points of damage.

-Everyone moved to a spot that prevented the skeletons from doing much. Ragnar opted to move halfway towards the back, allowing him to block the revenants from advancing to the party, but allowing them to attack him.

Combat Round #3

Initiative Results:
Party: 4

GM: 1

Ragnar: “Come forth, filth! I'll you into bait.”

Ragnar's blade crashes down at Revenant #1 for an attack roll of d20+3 vs. AC 11. The result equals 18. Revenant #1 is hit for 1 point of damage. A glancing blow that only deals 1 point of damage to the Revenant.

Bowie moves forward to be in range and fires close range at Revenant #2. If he rolls a natural 1-3 on a d20 he has struck Ragnar. He rolls at d20+3 for a total of 17. Hit! Revenant #2 takes 1d6+1 (3 points). The ball crashes into Revenant #2, felling the fiend into a pile of oozing slime on the floor.

Bowie: “Quite a shot, considering I didn't graze you, Minotaur.”

Danielle moves to Revenant #1 and makes a Rapier attack at the creature. She rolls d20+4 for a total of 14. Hit! Revenant #1 takes 7 points. It is felled with a single thrust to the blackened socket of its skeletal face.

<Combat Ends>

It is noticeably darker in the room as the storm continues to drive. A howl rises about the cacophony and fills the ears of the party. For the time the only source of light is the burning logs in the hearth. The stairs creak as another man appears at the landing. A youngish Human with brown hair and stubble. He looks over the room aghast.

Brandybuck: “What the hell happened here?”

Danielle: “Oh, hey, my sweet. This is not a good time.”

Brandybuck: “I would say not. There is... there's rain going on my good drapes.”

Danielle: “Things are a little bit dire than just soiled drapes, my lovely. Now, go back upstairs.” <Persuade +4 = Natural 20!>

Brandybuck pales when he sees the look in Danielle's eyes. He turns briefly and begins to walk when he hears her call his name.

Danielle: “Please bring down my kit before you lock your door, sweets. This might be an all-nighter.”

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Character Concepts Inspired by Pictures

I wanted to jump back into my personal campaign setting: Kyna: the Borderlands. Rather than post a brief of another town, or an adventure sketch, I wanted to grab a couple of pictures I had sitting in my Google picture archive and use them to build characters you might see while traveling in the Borderlands. A quick view of the Borderlands follows:

-The Borderlands serves as the buffer zone between the North, which is a kingdom of humans and the South, a kingdom of Elves. Filling this Borderland includes traditional fodder races such as Orcs, Goblins, Kobolds, Minotaur, Gnomes, Dwarves, Elves (exiles), and Humans (exiles, or drifter groups).

-The land serves home to pirates, swamp smugglers, river rats, and the occasional criminal. Adventuring includes diving into ancient ruins in the Great Salt Marsh, dealing with Orc criminal gangs, and busting up a doomsday cult.

Minotaur Occultist

It is common to believe that Minotaur refrain from magical pursuits, and that is often the case, but for bulls like Odo Greyweather, they are born with a touch of "the Strange" - and our looked down upon by mainstream Minotaur society. Healers and pagans are tolerated, but not those who seek out the arcane or, Warrior forbid, the necrotic.

Odo Greyweather is magician who has adopted an interesting method of inscribing his spells. He uses no book, instead, he tattoos his spells of power on his body.

Goblin Privateer

Goblins often excel at destruction, not through personal combat, but through range and indirect fire, such as alchemist fire or iron grenades, both of which were developed by Goblins. Both of which are tools of the trade for Bowie Tippett, Goblin privateer.

He serves aboard the "Scorpion" as a ship's engineer. Directing taller folk in making successful repairs to the Scorpion. On raids he is notorious for tossing or having iron grenades launched at the enemy ship to send out hot shards of iron at hapless foes. For personal protection he uses a double-shot crossbow, sometimes with explosive bolt-heads.

Elven Mercenary

Nicoletta is an example of crimes punished in the Empire, the southern reaches of the Elves. To Elves, exile might as well be considered a death sentence. Since the Great War, the Emperor has often use it to punish party goers at his mansion, or when he was upset, or when he was just in a mood. During one of these 'moods' did Nicoletta, at the time a guardsman at the Imperial palace get swept up and sent into the swamps. Torn away from a mother, a father, and a career.

Now living in the swamps and coasts of the Borderlands, Nicoletta makes her way as an at-large agent of The Exiles - an Order of fellow Elves who make their coin serving at the pleasure of town mayors or settling disputes. She is still bitter at what she lost and is always looking for a way to return home, if at least to see her family again.