Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Dragonclaw Episode #5: Gnomes and Spiders


Episode #5

[Current Party: Valkira, Gulsen, Bonaparte]

Valkira: Sits upon a stump as she looks over the foliage. Her shield lays off to the side while she keeps a hand on her sword, the blade dipped into the soft earth. She scans the area (D20+3 vs. 10 for a total of 20.) She feels very much attuned to the world around her. Every subtle noise rings clearly, her eyes catch every shift in the weeds.

(Gains Advantage on Perception checks for 1 hour.)

Gulsen: Approaches Valkira with a plate of food in hand. He makes a Notice check of his own (d20+3 for a total of 6.) He seems oblivious to the world around him. He is busy studying her (d20+3 for a total of 11). He sees the lines that appear on her face and says: “Damn swamp must be slowing them down. I'm sure we'll all agree that after this job we'll hold off taking more swamp work.” He offers up the plate of food.

Valkira: Replaces her sword and takes the food, offering the Dwarf a smile as she begins to eat. “You think they're okay out there?”

Gulsen: “I'd be more worried about the natives than them. A warrior like Nora, a gunslinger like Annalise, and a Minotaur like Gundar... any creature with more brains than a Goblin would know not to cross them.”

Bonaparte: “How do you figure about us though? A Dwarf, a Gnome, and a Human by our lonesome.”

Valkira: “Don't worry, I'll protect you.” She stand

Bonaparte: “Well at least I have that going for me. Which is nice.”

(Encounter check is a 2-in-6 chance. The result of which is a 5.)

The three sit around their firepit, eating rations and listening to the silence caused by the dearth of nature. There is a brief rustle in the trees, but little in the way of trouble to show for it. As they eat they watch each other.

Valkira: “So what is your story?” She looks to Bonaparte as she speaks.

Bonaparte: Shrugs and replies: “Anything special you like to know about Gnomes?”

Valkira: “Well I imagine the usual events occur. You had a mother, a father, perhaps a sibling or two. Then you left home to make your way in the world and it lead to a port town hugging the coastline of storms and pirates.”

Bonaparte: “The bugs get pretty bad too. When its not the normal size mosquitoes, it's the giant ones that give you trouble.”

Valkira: “Any reason why you wanted to be an adventurer?”

Bonaparte: “To be honest? I was tired to living under Master Locke. Staniwick, that's his first name, he was a very cautious fellow. No, you can't learn that. It's forbidden, Bonaparte, you are not ready. Ready this. Prepare for that. Well now I'm out on my own with my own gifted spellbook. All I have to do is find a few spells either from the Blades guild or our destination.”

Valkira: “I take it by 'Elven treasures' you mean spellbooks?”

Bonaparte: “Money isn't bad either.”

The salvage party arrives with enough supplies to get a camp going (Supply Die d6. One a roll of 1 the supplies decrease one die level.) The party sets up camp and gets a fire going. Gulsen makes a check to see if his cooking skills are any better (d20+3 for a total of 8.) Though he tries a few ingredients the food isn't anymore fulfilling, but it is at least edible. Gulsen spends his two spell slots to heal both Nora and Annalise.

Nora: “Made contact with some life. Goblin pack attacked us.”

Annalise: “I gotta repair my gun, damn thing jams first time we see real action.”

Gundar: “I certainly pulled my weight to this endeavor. Happy to help though, be a team player and all.”

Grolip: “I don't like to brag, but I like to think I did a good job on the bandages.”

Nora: nods and gives Grolip a pat on the shoulder. “You did. I'm feeling a little sore in the hand, but you helped a lot during that fight.”

Valkira: “Alright. Let's stay on alert with two people up for first and second watch and one person up for third and fourth watch. Those two times probably won't see as much action. Any volunteers?”

(50% of yes results in 84% for No.)

Valkira: “Well then. I guess I'll be up. Annalise, you'll be with me on first watch. Give you a chance to repair your rifle and give me a chance to watch you repair a rifle.”

Annalise: “I'll try to take it slow so you get a chance to learn something.”

Valkira: “Any volunteers for second watch?”

((50% chance of yes. Result is 13. Yes. Who? 1D4 for 1) Nora, 2) Grolip, 3) Gundar, 4) Bonaparte. Result is 2) Grolip))

Grolip: “I'll take second watch. Gives me some time to sit on my tail and look at trees and such.”

Nora: “I'll help Grolip since he helped me.”

Gundar: “I shall take third.”


Bonaparte: “Well...” He looks to see Valkira looking at him, his eyes shifting to Gulsen who is also looking at him. He then shrugs: “Fine, fine. I'm on fourth. I guess since Gulsen cast the healing spells he earned his full night of rest.”

Gulsen: “I'd be happy to help, but I do need to have my spells ready for tomorrow.”

Valkira: “Plus I wouldn't have accepted his offer in the first place.”

Bonaparte: “Yeah, yeah I hear you. I hear you. Now I plan to take advantage of a late shift and get some sleep for me.” Bonaparte lays out his bedroll and turns over away from the fire.

The others follow in suit except for Annalise and Valkira.

(Encounter check at night remains at 2-in-6 due to the fire keeping a lot of wild creatures away. The result is 2. Encounter is: Animal, Humanoid, Undead, or NPC <1d4> result is: 1) Animal.)

Annalise and Valkira sit together under the a clear moon night. The trees however impeded a lot of the moonlight shining down on the two. Annalise works on repairing her damaged musket while Valkira looks on.

Annalise: “Just a few turns.” (She Repair check with Advantage vs. a TN of 12 for a total of 13.) With the twist of her ratchet she removes the locking plate from the rifle and a swab dabbed in a clear cleaning solution to remove the gunk from the misfiring.

Valkira: “What's this part?” She picks up the lock and notices that the hammer is a round and flat piece with a slight warming sensation.

Annalise: “That's the runelock.” She gestures to the bottom of the lock: “That warming sensation you're feeling is the heat of the rune inscribed on it.”

Valkira: “So when the hammer strikes the plate there it just sends fire into the breach, no?”

Annalise: “That's right.” She takes the locking system from Valkira's hand and replaces it: “The age of the older muskets will be phased out. This will be the latest and greatest.”

Valkira: “I take it you never had a doll to play when you were young.”

Annalise: “Oh I did.” Leans forward, “I liked to pretend that she was a tinker too.” She checks the sight and nods, “Looking good-”

(Notice checks! Valkira gets a Natural 1. Annalise gets a 14.) Valkira remains distracted, looking at the runelock heavily. Annalise turns her head to the trees.

Valkira: “How long have you been-”

Annalise: “Shh!” She says, her eyes turn up to a shifting figure in the trees.



From the trees a man-size green spider leaps towards the camp. (Valkira is automatically due to her Natural 1. Annalise gets a surprise check. She is surprised on a 1 or 2 thanks to the Spider's special ability. She rolls a 3. She can act in this first round).

GM (+0): 17
Annalise (+9): 25
Valkira (+3): Surprised!

Annalise jumps up and draws her rapier. She makes a stab at the spider (d20+3 vs. AC 13 for a total of 11.) Her singing blade merely pokes the hardened mottled skin of the spider.

The spider attacks Annalise (d20+2 vs. AC 11 for a total of Natural 1!) The spider moves up with its arms swinging in the air at Annalise. It fails to notice that Valkira recovers from her shock and grabs her sword.

Valkira makes a counterattack, chopping at the spider with her blade (d20+3 for a total of 13. Hit!) Her blade cuts into the bulbous thorax of the spider. (1d6 damage = 6). The blade bites deep, drawing ichorous fluid from the spider's side.

Three more spiders quickly swarm from the trees. However the party is stirred by the fighting. It will take them a round to get armor if they elect to do so.

Current Statuses

Party

Name
HP
Status
Valkira
19 / 19
Active.
Annalise
16 / 16
Active.
Nora
21 / 21
Gathering Armor
Grolip
21 / 21
Gathering Armor
Bonaparte
22 / 22
Active
Gundar
21 / 21
Active
Gulsen
16 / 16
Gathering Armor

Spiders (AC: 13, HD 2, Bite (1d6+1) + Poison (+1 Save or Paralyze. S: Surprise)

Name
HP
Spider #1
5 / 11
Spider #2
5 / 5
Spider #3
6 / 6
Spider #4
10 / 10

Initiative! (For those who are Active)

GM (+0): 18
Valkira (+3): 5
Annalise (+9): 19
Bonaparte (+12): 29
Gundar (+12): 23
Nora (+3): Last!
Grolip (+6): Last!
Gulsen (+6): Last!

Bonaparte runs up, pointing his finger at the on-coming spiders. He casts a Lightning Bolt which catches 1d3 spiders (2: Spider #2 and #3). The bolt of lightning flies at them, burning and electrocuting anything in their path. (2d6 damage = 5 points. Save for ½ is TN 10)

<Spider #2 rolls a 18. Makes save! And takes 2 points of damage.>

<Spider #3 rolls a 8. It fails and takes 5 points of damage.>

Gundar strides without wearing any armor (He does gain +1 Armor due to his fur. His AC is now 11). He conjures a scorching ray (1d4 rays. He rolls a 4). Four ruby read orbs float above his head. This first round he fires one of the orbs at Spider #2. (D20+3 vs. AC 12. He rolls a 13 and deals 2d6 points of damage for a total of 5 points.)

The beam strikes the spider in the face. It makes one last shudder before the head explodes into a ball of hot good and the burning spider collapses to the ground.

Annalise races back to her rifle loads a round down the barrel. She is armed for next round.

Spider #1 attacks Valkira with its dagger like fangs (d20+2 vs. AC 15. Result is Natural 20!) The spider sinks its fangs into Valkira's leg (d6+1 x 2 damage = 4 points.) The wound is deep enough to draw blood and pump its venom into Valkira (d20+3 DISADVANTAGE vs. TN 10. Total is 12.) She remains standing, but her reflexes become sluggish from the onset of the poison.

Spider #3 charges out and targets a character (1-2 Gundar, 3-4 Bonaparte, 5-6 Annalise. Result is 1). Its black eyes focus on Gundar as it crawls over and attacks him (rolls a total of 13 vs. AC 11.) It bites into him, bypassing his fur and heavy skin to draw blood (1d6 for 2 points). It also pumps its poison into Gundar (d20+3 + 1 vs. TN 10 for a total of 15.) Gundar is sluggish, but is generally able to shrug off the poison.

Spider #4 skitters out and also targets a character (1 Valkira, 2 Gundar, 3 Bonaparte, 5 Annalise, 6 Nora or Gulsen. 5. The spider surges to Annalise (There is a 1-in-6 chance of provoking an attack from Valkira as it passes by. The spider rolls a 5.) Valkira is distracted by her own problems to give the spider a parting shot as it passes to attack Annalise (d20+2 for a total of Natural 1!) The spider rears up high to show its fangs. Annalise just draws and fires with a counterattack (result is 22. Hit! 1D8 for 7 Damage) The gunshot strikes the spider with full force, causing it to tumble to its backside. Its little legs kick as its alive, but very, very injured.


Valkira slashes the spider on her (Spider #1. Her result is 6.) Her slash is a glancing blow off of the tough furry body of the spider.

Nora finishes the round donning her armor and grabbing her sword. She is now considered active at the end of the round.

Gulsen finishes the round donning his armor and taking up his shield. He is considered active, but not armed with a weapon yet.

Grolip dons his armor and draws his polearm. He is considered active.


End Status

Party


Name
HP
Status
Valkira
15 / 19
Engaged with Spider #1
Annalise
16 / 16
Engaged with Spider #4
Nora
21 / 21
Active
Grolip
21 / 21
Active
Bonaparte
22 / 22
Active
Gundar
19 / 21
Engaged with Spider #3
Gulsen
16 / 16
Active, but unarmed

Spiders


Name
HP
Spider #1
5 / 11
Spider #2
DEAD
Spider #3
6 / 6
Spider #4
3 / 10









Initiative

GM (+0): 8
Valkira (+3): 6
Annalise (+9): 22
Bonaparte (+12): 15
Gundar (+12): 20
Nora (+3): 23
Grolip (+6): 26
Gulsen (+6): 25

Grolip charges with his polearm and lunges at Spider #4 (16 vs. 12 is a Hit! 8 Damage). While Spider #4 still twitches and writhes on the ground, his blade comes along and ends it.

Gulsen takes an action and draws his pick. He moves forward to be a step behind most of the party.

Nora moves up and makes a thrust, trying to drive the flat of her maul into Spider #1 (Natural 20! 1d8 x 2 for a total of 16.) The mallet busts the Spider's thorax like a messy gory balloon, spilling it all over the grass. Valkira makes a face and says: “Thanks, but I'm really going to be sick from this.”

Annalise spends one action to reload and another to take aim at Spider #3. She spends the rest of the round aiming for a bonus in the next attack.

Gundar slashes down with his sword to cleave Spider #3 (9) The blade glances off the backside from the spider, leaving only shallow cuts.

Bonaparte curses the situation and goes back to the alchemical trunk. He breaks it open and spends his time rummaging through ingredients.

Spider #3 decides its become too difficult to get prey and try to retreat. It makes one final bite to paralyze Gundar (19 hits AC 11. 5 points.) Poison pumps into Gundar's veins (Save is Natural 20! vs. 10). Gundar grunts, shuddering slightly, but otherwise feels no ill effects.

Valkira turns and makes a line for Spider #3, which is attacking Gundar. She makes a thrust with her sword (20 vs. AC 12. Hit! 1D6 for damage for 4 points). The blade makes a deep cut into the spider but does not manage to slay the creature.

End Status

Spiders

Name
HP
Spider #1
DEAD
Spider #2
DEAD
Spider #3
2 / 6
Spider #4
DEAD

Party


Name
HP
Status
Valkira
15 / 19
Engaged with Spider #3
Annalise
16 / 16
Active
Nora
21 / 21
Active
Grolip
21 / 21
Active
Bonaparte
22 / 22
Active
Gundar
14 / 21
Engaged with Spider #3
Gulsen
16 / 16
Active

Initiative

GM (+0): 10
Valkira (+3): 21
Annalise (+9): 18
Bonaparte (+12): 31
Gundar (+12): 30
Nora (+3): 23
Grolip (+6): 17
Gulsen (+6): 15

Bonaparte breaks out his alchemical kit and begins creating an anti-toxin. He calls out: “Make sure to bring me its venom sack. I'm working on the base portions.” (d20+3 vs. TN 10 with Advantage due to his skill for a total of 20.) He nods as the base of the anti-toxin makes a very luminous green glow, the sign of a perfectly made potion.

Gundar slashes at Spider #3 (Roll total of 20 vs. 12. Hit! 1D6 points of damage totals to 2). His blade embeds itself into the center mass of the spider's head. He manages to dislodge it, causing the spider collapse backwards. Its legs in a spasm in a death throe before it at least calms and expires. “Two attacks in one day. I feel so lucky.”

Valkira: “Everyone okay? Anyone hurt- besides me.”

Gundar: grimaces as he looks at his leg. “I think I'm going to need a rest for the evening.”

Bonaparte: “I mean my nerves are a little shot, but I think I'll live. Now... I need that venom sack.”

Gulsen: “I'll get to work on the healing kit. I don't have the energy yet to try another spellcasting.”

Annalise: Reloads her rifle: “I'll walk the perimeter.” She steps away, cursing quietly.

Nora: “I'll follow with her.”

Grolip: “I'm going to bed.” Grolip walks back to his bed roll and after barely sliding out of his chairshirt collapses to the ground and sleeps without drawing the cover over his body.


(Gulsen makes a First-Aid check vs. TN 10. He gains the Advantage for both having a Healer's Kit (uses d8) and the First Aid Skill. With Valkira he rolls a 10. She is healed 1d6 points for a total of 2. He rolls with Advantage with Gundar, his two countering a Disadvantage Gundar has due to his more grievous wounds. He rolls a 20. He heals Gundar 4 points. He makes two checks to see if his Healer's Kit goes down resulting in a 8 and 6. His charge die does not go down any significant amount.)

No comments:

Post a Comment