Monday, August 8, 2016

Blackpowder: A Look at Guns in Swords & Wizardry


John Bell over at the Retired Adventurer had a lot to say about guns, specifically the emphasis that guns should somehow do exploding damage or that they should have a significantly higher damage output. I sort of agree with the latter idea, mainly that pistols should do the same damage as a heavy crossbow, but with shorter range and the musket should do a step higher than the heavy crossbow. That part I don't mind, but I agree very much with Bell about tossing exploding damage rules. I've heard arguments before, specifically that if you catch a bullet in the head you'll drop dead- but then again I'd argue if you catch anything in the head like a sword or a crossbow bolt, you'd probably die just as quickly.

At one time Jack Shear had a table for Labyrinth Lord firearms which I appropriated and now I've altered to put firearms more in line with crossbows.

Firearms

Name
Damage
Reload
Weight
Range (General)
Cost
Pistol
1d6+1
1 round
4
Near
25 gp
Blunderbuss
1d8+1 / 1d6+1
1 round
8
Near
50 gp
Musket
1d8+1
1 round
10
Far
75 gp
Powder (x10)
-
-
-
-
1 gp

Range: Ranges run from Close, Near, Far, Distant – with Close being at melee range and Distant being long distance.


Blunderbuss: Firing past Near lowers the damage die a step.


No comments:

Post a Comment