Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Old School / Rules Light Saving Throw Alterations


Before I get into it, I like others think Beyond the Wall is a sort of hidden gem of a game. I don't know what the consensus is across the board of old school or rules light gaming. I imagine some people dislike, but I put hope that a lot more love it both for its tone and its meshing of rules light and the 3rd edition rule set. I like it a lot, no Gnomes, but that can fixed on my own time. Instead I want to talk about one aspect of Beyond the Wall that can be applied to a lot of old school games I like, but have one nagging issue: Saving Throws.

I'm with people who dislike the category based save: Poison, Polymorph, Petrification, Death... to me Fortitude, Reflex, and Will are a better representation of the saves you need to make. Want to avoid that poison? Fortitude it. Want to dodge that falling piano? Dodge out of the way with Reflex. Want to avoid that mind control? Use the power of Will.

Certain OSR games still want to use category based saves and it serves as the part I'm not fond of. I get why it's used by the creators, their intention and all, but sometimes the change that happened to the game were positives in my opinion. I also dislike the way games like Microlite20 doesn't strictly have saves, but suggestions and alterations. Granted, Microlite20 is a toolbox system, but I would have liked a more firmer base to work from than just: "Well here's a general idea of what you can use."

Enter Beyond the Wall, it also has a category based save, but it also has an appendix that gives us this chart and this rule that I shall apply to other games.

Saving Throws

Fortitude

Reflex

Will


Level
Good Save
Normal Save
1
15
16
2
15
16
3
13
15
4
13
15
5
11
14
6
11
14
7
9
13
8
9
13
9
7
12
10
7
12


In this system each class has one Good Save and two Normal Saves. Like older school the idea is when making a Save the character must meet of surpass the stated number. This is a straight d20 roll with currently one bonus added that is adding Wisdom bonus versus Charm, Mind Control, or Fear spells. Anything that affects the mind you get a bonus to it.

2 comments:

  1. i dont like there is 2 point graduation for level ups.
    why level 2 cant be: 14/16 ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An interesting point. I'm not sure the math behind 'Beyond the Walls' system. I just sort of reposted their saving throw for other games as both had a target number system to meet or beat.

      Delete